Thursday, April 03, 2008

Travel trends

The recent changes to checked baggage policy by some US airlines will certainly affect golfers as they travel. For years we have been occassionally required to sign the "limited release" baggage document by the airlines, to protect them in the event of damage! In typical airline fashion, this policy was administered with the consistency of a drunken sailor...the only change now, is that they will charge you for the pleasure!



To combat the consistently poor luggage handling of the airlines I have been shipping my golf clubs ahead of me when it makes sense. I have enjoyed good success for short trips around the USA with UPS. The are reliable and very reasonably priced if you can use their Ground Service. We have also been using a company, Sports Express, for our clients as they travel internationally. Sports Express in turn contract with UPS and FedEx but they are your concierge in front of the shipping companies should you encounter any service issues. There are far greater complexities when shipping golf bags, or indeed anything overseas, as customs can be a serious problem... if all of your paperwork is not entirely correct your attempts at trying to make your life and travels easier will seriously backfire! My advise is to use someone like Sports Express.






Another area which has changed significently in recent years is communications, and more specifically, communicating home or to the office when you are on vacation. I use a number of tools when travelling, each for a different purpose based on cost, reliability, etc. For the more mundane domestic US travel a cell phone is hardly a revelation. I could not recount the last time I used a hotel room phone or pay phone. My phone/PDA also delivers my voicemails as email attachments so I can easily listen to without calling my voicemail at the office (to discover I have no messages). When travelling overseas I will buy a local SIM card for my cell phone so that I have a local number if I will be in that country for several days. It is now substantially easier to have US Carriers unlock cell phones than in the past. I called AT&T prior to a trip to Asia and they provided an unlock code within 5 days, it was very easy. Finally, for overseas travel I use Skype. Most hotels have broadband internet access and I use Skype to stay in touch via video with home. It works extremely well and is no charge...the price is right. I also use Skype (their SkypeOut service) for calling back to the USA from overseas (2.5 cents/min). All in all, with the correct planning you should be able to remain in as much contact as you wish when travelling...all for a reasonable cost.



An issue that occurs with our clients from time and I have noticed is consistently handled in a different fashion overseas, as compared to travelling within the USA...rental cars. On average I probably rent 30 cars annually. I have found Avis to be the most reliable but I would suspect most of the major companies are similar. The process is all very convenient if you are a member of their premier club, the car and paperwork are waiting for you, no lines (generally) and the return has someone in position to verify fuel and make sure all four tires are returned! Once you have their receipt in hand the transaction is completed. Consistently outside the USA I have noticed a much stricter review of cars for scratches, dents or any other damage when you return it. It is thoroughly inspected. During the rental process some companies (outside USA) will take a charge for the full tank of gas that will be refunded to you after you return the car with same. This adds another step in the process and just makes less convenient. The one lesson to NEVER forget, when you end your rental agreement, get the final receipt from the company which simply acknowledges it is back in their custody without damage and with a full tank of gas. Failure to insist on this can be problematic if subsequent questions arise or damage is identified.

No comments: