Sunday, January 16, 2005

New Year

PGA Show - Later this month, the annual gathering in Orlando of the golf industry. Despite recent setbacks and high profile non attendee's, the show remains a sizeable affair as many people connected with the golf world, from various parts of the globe use it is a chance to see old friends, conduct some business and catch up on the latest buzz in the industry. It always strikes me that with the high cost of participating as an exhibitor, the future of such events becomes more doubtful. It is quite easy to rationalize why not to attend and how you can better allocate your resources more efficiently elsewhere...but human nature likes eyeball contact, shake a hand, meet a new associate...as much as the communications revolution is changing how we work and how we play, there is a place for everything. Please still buy newspapers because they like the medium....while also getting other information from the internet...email has not replaced the post office.

Barnbougle Dunes - On the north coast of Tasmania, near the town of Bridport, one of Tom Doak's latest creations and it is a gem. Situated in the middle of nowhere, the golf course has the feel of Sand Hills in Nebraska, it was sculpted from the terrain with minimal earth movement. The facility has accommodations on site and reminds me of a cross between Bandon Dunes and Sand Hills.if you get to Australia, find 1 or 2 days to fly over, you will not be disappointed. This is a curious site as the land is quite flat except for this chain of sand dunes, 500 yards inland it is pasture. There are some delightful wineries in the area, including Pipers Rock (20 minutes).

Cape Kidnappers - Situated on top of the cliffs to the east of Napier, on the east coast of the North Island of New Zealand, it is a spectacular venue. The course is difficult, but in my view fair. There are a number of exceptional holes, not least of which is the view from the 16th tee looking over Hawkes Bay. I could best describe the experience at Cape Kidnappers as Old Head (Ireland) with a great course. The views are spectacular, the routing creates many memorable holes, sadly the finishing hole falls into the average category, which is just not the case with the previous ones.

Kauri Cliffs - The course leapfrogged into the Top 50 in the world when it opened. It is a good course with many excellent holes and a superb location. With the recent fine additions to the golf scene in Australasia I think it may be under pressure to hold it's spot in the rankings, but the experience at Kuari Cliffs is outstanding. The rooms are as well designed and comfortable as I have seen. The staff is attentive and the food is excellent. It is a must stop on any golf trip to New Zealand. You may come to think of the golf course as more resorty than others you will play but it is very definitely at the highest end of resort golf.

Wairakaki - Built in the 1970's near Lake Taupo in the middle of the North Island. The course was originally under indirect government ownership but was sold into private enterprise. Three New Zealand businessmen now own the facility and the course is very good. An inland course it has hosted numerous professional and amateur events through the years. It has been updated and is a great test of golf.

The National Golf Club (Moonah Links), Melbourne, Australia – A Greg Norman design on the Mornington peninsula, to the south of Melbourne. If you can ignore the flies which can become rather bothersome, the course is excellent. Any number of fine holes and worthy of making the effort to play.

Handicaps versus tee's - I played in a match play event recently which provided no handicaps to the participants, but rather there was a defined set of tees to play from based upon your handicap. An interesting concept which created a number of competitive matches (and upsets). I believe the purpose was to demonstrate the need and benefit for every golfer playing the tees which were designed for their capabilities...give it a try at your club.

Air travel - Remains as challenging as ever although I have found three web sites which are pretty handy if you have the time to research your travel plans; For Business Class passengers this site reviews every premium seat in the sky - www.flatseats.com ; for the more mainstream coach class passenger the following site provides some great insights, often I have THOUGHT I had reserved the perfect emergency row seat only to discover I was one row off in a seat which neither reclined nor had extra leg room - www.seatguru.com and finally a site which provides thoughtful insight into the ongoing changes in the airline industry - www.airlinequality.com .

Communications - In an earlier blog I had touched upon the rapidly changing face of communications with Skype and Vonage. A simple story speaks volumes about the new times we live.....sitting in my hotel room in Queenstown, New Zealand on a Sunday morning, I logged into our phone system using a local Atlanta (GA) phone number which rings on my laptop....a prospective client of PerryGolf (in Calgary, Canada) calls our 800 number and as I am the only person logged into the system (Saturday in Atlanta), the call is routed to my laptop and I spend 15 minutes on the phone with this gentleman from Canada. He has no idea, who or where he is speaking to, but probably assumes it is an office in the United States. Cost to PerryGolf...same as if I was sitting in my office! The world is....correction, has changed!

14 comments:

Mark Burris - BURRIS said...

Regarding the PGA Merchandise Show and trade shows/exhibits in general:

My company had the occasion recently to make a presentation to the High Point (NC) Market Authority, the promotional body for the furniture industry's twice annual International Home Furnishings Exposition, aka the "Furniture Market." I told the Market Authority's communications committee that their show was at risk for several reasons: (1) Las Vegas is building its own merchandise expo and vying to compete. (2) High Point has a tradition of gouging its Market visitors. Hotel and rental car rates double during the shows, and Market visitors aren't pleased about it. (3) The town's infrastructure can't support the demand for dining, parking, etc. Needless to say, these three things are inter-related.

Worse, I continued, shows like the "Furniture Market" are on the wane anyway. (By the way, we didn't get the business.) The traditional reasons for buyers' attending such confabs aren't necessarily valid any longer. And this is where I see a parallel to the PGA Show.

1. Networking. Members, buyers, exhibitors, et al. - they used to catch up with one another, restore, rejoin, replenish their relationships and friendships and all that sort of thing.

2. New products. The PGA Show, the Furniture Market - heck, all shows, for all I know - used to provide a platform for introducing new products. Buyers felt they almost had to go in order to see and get in line to buy the latest and the greatest.

3. Distribution exclusivity. And being first to see often allowed a buyer to not only be the first, but also be the only seller on his block offering the latest and the greatest.

The first of these reasons remains valid. But #'s 2 and 3 - not so much anymore. No one holds new introductions for a show. The cycles for new product launches have changed. They're shorter and for some brands, launching outside the show cycle gives them a brief window of advantage. And almost no one can afford to offer exclusivity anymore.

Not to mention the cost. For the exhibitor the cost to be at one of these shows is astronomical, and increasingly they're asking themselves, is there a return?

So as long as the PGA Merchandise Show allows PGA members to network with one another, the show will go on. But one has to ask: How long will the networkers come if there are fewer and fewer exhibitors with a need to be there?

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I wanted to share this with you. Are you tired of the Internet Marketing Rat Race? start home improvement business


Check this out when you have time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on callaway golf when I found your page. Your New Year is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on callaway golf then drop by the site above and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on golf gift when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf gift. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about golf gift at the site above.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on golf tips, I ended up on your page. Your New Year shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about golf tips.

Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about golf fitness equipment. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on golf fitness equipment and it brought me to your blog on New Year . The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Gordon Dalgleish and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding dunlop golf equipment and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Gordon Dalgleish your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on dunlop golf equipment was way off when compared to New Year and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for dunlop golf equipment for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on discount golf when I found your page. Your New Year is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on discount golf then drop by the site above and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about golf fitness equipment. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on golf fitness equipment and it brought me to your blog on New Year . The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Gordon Dalgleish and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on golf store, I ended up on your page. Your New Year shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about golf store.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on callaway golf when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for callaway golf. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about callaway golf at the site above.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish...Wow! While I was searching for info on golf instruction I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf instruction. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about golf instruction.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon Dalgleish, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on golf store when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf store. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about golf store at the site above.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Gordon Dalgleish, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on golf instruction I ended up on your page. Obviously New Year is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf instruction. Should the need ever arise where you need information on golf instruction then drop by for a look.